How We Score
Real science + real reviews
Don’t let our bright, charming exterior fool you. Behind the scenes, our team of data experts is sifting through a sea of product claims to make sure you get the right insights at the right time.
We give clear, straightforward explanations about what it all means, where to focus, and why it matters.
We Score Products on a Scale of 0-10
It’s one of the better options out there.
It's not the best, but it's not the worst either.
It's more likely to do some harm, or fall apart, or both.
How We Compile Our Insights
Combining function and scientific fact is how we find the best of the best
Finch is powered by a proprietary algorithm that puts products through the wringer.
Our technology cuts through the greenwash by analyzing company-level and product-level data and accounting for six interconnected environmental footprints and real reviews. Instead of just saying one product is more “sustainable” than another, we simplify the science, category by category. No jargon, no blanket claims or wishy-washy statements.
The carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases that are directly or indirectly released into the atmosphere by a product when it is made or used.
- Ex: The company invests in renewable energy
- The company is Climate Neutral Certified
- The product uses materials with low carbon intensity
The amount of water that is used to make and use a product, and the vulnerability of the watershed that the water is pulled from.
- Ex:The product uses fewer water-intensive crops
- The product is manufactured in a less water-stressed area
- The product is UL Water Footprint Certified
The level of toxicity of a product, including if it is detrimental to you and your family's health and/or to the workers who make it.
- Ex: The product uses Fair Trade Certified materials
- The company is B Corp Certified
- The product is free from PFAS, SLS, and sulfates
The impact a product has on biodiversity, including the extent to which it harms or benefits local ecosystems and the natural habitats that plants and animals rely on.
- Ex:The product is Sustainable Forestry Initiative Certified
- The product uses less eco-toxic chemicals
- The product is PETA or Leaping Bunny Cruelty-Free Certified
The waste created by a product and its packaging, which is the result of how it is manufactured, how long a product lasts and how likely it is to be reused, recycled, or landfilled.
- Ex: The product's packaging is made of recyclable materials
- The company has a take-back program
- The product is Cradle-to-Cradle Certified
The materials that are used to make a product, which accounts for how rare they are, whether they are renewable, how difficult they are to source, and how environmentally damaging it is to collect them.
- Ex: The product does not contain rare metals
- The product is Bluesign Certified
- The company sources materials without harming other parts of the environment
If you want to get in the weeds with us, download our scoring system cheat sheet, including a full list of our sources.Download Cheat Sheet
There’s no magical
Download our browser extension and get actionable insights on your favorite products.
Ask Us Anything
We love a good question.
Here are some answers that might help.